Our Legacy Society is made up of donors who include DESK’s future in their financial planning.  Members of DESK’s Legacy Society have made a commitment to the long-term mission of DESK, ensuring that we will continue to serve those most in need for years to come.


As with any financial planning, you should check with a qualified financial advisor or estate attorney before making any changes to your current plans. For additional information on how to make a deferred or planned gift to DESK, please contact us at (475) 238-8778 or via email.



Many donors find that the easiest way to make a substantial future gift to DESK is to make a bequest in their will. There are many different kinds of bequests. With each, the entire value of the bequest is eligible for a charitable deduction against their estate taxes.

Stocks, Securities, Real Estate

Popular alternatives to cash are gifts of appreciated property such as marketable securities (stocks and/or bonds) and real estate. These type of gifts can provide even greater tax benefits to you, the donor, than an equivalent gift of cash, especially when the appreciated property being donated has been held long-term (more than a year) and has increased in value over basis (the value at the time the property was acquired by the donor).  Stock donations can be made directly to DESK’s holdings account:

Financial Institution: Merrill Lynch
DTC Code:  8862
Account Number:  81202688
Account Name:  The Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen, Inc.

Life Insurance

Most people own some form of life insurance either through their employer or through a personal or family plan. Life insurance is popular because of its unique ability to meet a variety of needs for financial protection. A donor can name DESK as the primary or successor beneficiary of a life insurance policy. When the proceeds are paid to DESK, the donor’s estate may be allowed an estate-tax charitable deduction.

Retirement Plan Proceeds

Another way to leave a significant gift and help secure the future is to name DESK as beneficiary to part or all of your retirement plan benefits. This can be done with an IRA, Roth IRA, 401 (k) plan or employer sponsored pension plan.

For more information on the deductibility of charitable contributions for the current tax year, please visit the IRS web site at www.irs.gov.

For additional information, please reach out to our Executive Director, Steve Werlin, at (203) 624-6426, ext. 8557 or swerlin@deskct.org.