For information regarding volunteer opportunities, please visit our Volunteer page.
The Board’s nominating period extends from February to May.
For more information, please contact our Board Nominating Committee Chair, Laurie Schiener at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Leaders Wanted!
Multiple seats available. Nominations accepted through May 31, 2022
Mission and Background
DESK serves people experiencing homelessness or living in poverty by providing food assistance and services that promote health, community, and equity. In the past few years, DESK’s leadership has considered carefully what isn’t working for homelessness services in New Haven, and we developed a plan that has enabled us to address those problems in a way that is collaborative, equitable, and progressive, and that doubles-down on what DESK already does well: food and community.
In April 2021, DESK opened New Haven’s first Downtown Drop-in & Resource Center, where our Guests can walk in and access resources, like healthcare, housing, or addiction services, or get assigned to a shelter bed that night. Just two blocks from the New Haven Green, DESK is now working collaboratively with a range of partners to offer real solutions to homelessness and hunger in New Haven.
As DESK continues to expand and grow, we invite passionate and committed people to join this organization as Board Members. DESK’s Board of Directors is composed of a small group of dedicated individuals who are highly engaged in the community, each bringing at least one area of specialization or knowledge to their Board service.
Interested candidates should mail a cover letter and résumé to Laurie Scheiner at email@example.com with “Board Member Application” in the subject line. Tell us what important perspective, experience, or background you would bring to this important leadership role.
Core Requirements and Responsibilities of Board Members
- Network Cultivation and Community Outreach – Board members serve as both representatives of and ambassadors to the general public, helping to establish a broad base of support across the community.
- Programmatic Oversight – Board members are responsible for determining ethical, appropriate, and effective programs and services.
- Strategic Planning – Board members are responsible for establishing the mission, vision, and values of the organization, and determining the long-term plans for achieving goals and ensuring sustainability.
- Fiduciary Responsibility – Board members provide financial oversight to the organization, including adherence to relevant laws, appropriate expenditures, and ethical fundraising practices.
Skill Sets and Backgrounds Welcome
- Community leaders and community organizers
- Diversity of voice and background
- Committed stakeholders from Downtown & Wooster Square
- Representation from underserved communities and neighborhoods in New Haven
- Marketing, fundraising and strategic development professionals
- Experience with publicly-funded homelessness services
Board service is an unpaid volunteer position with an expected commitment to a three-year term. Members typically attend one Board meeting and one committee meeting a month.
DESK values greatly the role of diversity in organization and strongly encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and lifestyles.
Download a printable version of this information here.
There are no positions open at this time.
DESK is an equal opportunity employer who affirms and values greatly the role of diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and lifestyles.
There are no open internship positions at this time.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Director Steve Werlin, Kitchen Manager Meagan Howard, and Board President Scott McLean, on the occasion of Meagan’s 10th anniversary of employment with DESK, Dec. 2, 2020.